Friday, December 17, 2010

Building Hypermammut in Debian.

So, I've been trying to get hypermammut to compile and run for me.  The released tarball has a few problems in it.  I've gotten it to compile, but it still crashes when I try to open a file.  However, I figure the steps I've shown are at least closer to getting it to work.

I should note that I am on a 64 bit system, but I think I will explicitly point out everywhere where this is relevant.

First of all, you need to install the proper dev files.  Obviously you need a C++ compiler, etc, but the libraries you need to install specially are (and I list them with their Debian package names): magick++-dev libfftw3-dev
libwxgtk2.8-dev libaudiofile-dev.  You also need to install the build tool scons.  I should note that there is also a package named libmagick++-dev, which is not the same as magick++-dev.  The former will not work, and the two are mutually exclusive.

 Second the Scons build script is horribly broken (SConstruct).  I don't know scons, but I was able to figure out enough to fix it.

It would try to generate commands like

g++ -o IO/AInput.o -c -fPIE -pie "-ggdb `wx-config --cppflags` -Wno-unused-macros" IO/AInput.cpp

The double quotation marks just messing things up.  Additionally, it was missing the correct flags for fftw and audiofile in some cases.

I was able to clean it up enough to this point (I am only posting the bottom part of the file, because the top is just a big list, which I didn't change at all.)

env = Environment();
env.ParseConfig('Magick++-config --ldflags --libs')
env.ParseConfig('wx-config  --libs --cppflags')
env.ParseConfig('pkg-config fftw3f audiofile --libs')
env.Append(CCFLAGS = '-ggdb')
env.Append(LINKFLAGS = '-ggdb')

Another issue which popped up (I'm pretty sure only due to 64 bit architecture) was in Process/Generator/Random.cpp. In the function Random::Random(), you need to replace the line

s1=get32bits()+(int) this;
s1=get32bits()+(int) ((intptr_t)this);

and add the include

#include <stdint.h>

to the top of the file.  This basically does the proper cast when ints and pointers aren't necessarily the same size.

Also, the file UI/ParametersDialog.cpp is missing the include

#include <wx/wx.h>

Now, run 


It will build (at least on my system).  It will create the executable "test_s2i2s".  Unfortunately, whenever I try to load a file, it crashes.  If it is an audio file, it says

Audio File Library: could not open file 'test.wav' [error 3]
ERROR: Could not import audio file.

If it is an image file, it says 

test_s2i2s: magick/semaphore.c:525: LockSemaphoreInfo: Assertion `semaphore_info != (SemaphoreInfo *) ((void *)0)' failed.

I don't have the time nor energy to track down these bugs, but they seem to be much deeper than misconfigured dependencies.  Hopefully I've sent someone down the right path to getting it to build correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment